Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Clauses...




Clauses Stating Reasons and Conditions



Unless
Used to communicate that something is true or will happen except if something else happens.
I’ll be at the meeting unless I am really busy.
Unless I’m really busy, I’ll be at the meeting.
(If I am really busy, I will not go to the meeting.)


even if


Used to introduce something that does not affect the result of the main clause.
I’ll be at the meeting even if I am really busy.
Even if I’m busy, I’ll be at the meeting.
(If I am busy, I will still go the meeting. The amount of work I have will not prevent me from attending the meeting.)


as long as

Used to introduce that something will only happen or be true if what “as long as” introduces happens.
I will be at the meeting as long as I’m not busy.
As long as I’m not busy, I’ll be at the meeting.
(If I am busy, I will not be at the meeting.)




(just) in case



Used to introduce something that someone is preparing for because there is a chance it might happen.
I asked Tim to take notes (just) in case I can’t go to the meeting.
(Just) in case I can’t go to the meeting, I asked Tim to take notes for me.
(I will probably be at the meeting, but I’m taking precautions because there is a possibility I won’t be at the meeting.)



only if



Used to introduce something that must happen or be true for the main clause to happen.
 I’ll miss the meeting only if I have something really urgent to take care of.
I’ll only miss the meeting if I have something really urgent to take care of.


now that


Used to explain a new situation.
Now that I’m a manager, I attend more meetings.
I attend more meetings now that I’m a manager



No comments:

Post a Comment