Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Participles as adjectives


Some participles (like 'bored' or 'boring') can be used as adjectives. These are used in a slightly different way from normal adjectives. We usually use the past participle (ending in -ed) to talk about how someone feels:
  • I was really bored during the flight (NOT: I was really boring during the flight).
  • She's interested in history (NOT: She's really interesting in history).
  • John's frightened of spiders (NOT: John's frightening of spiders).
We usually use the present participle (ending in -ing) to talk about the person, thing, or situation which has caused the feeling:
  • It was such a long, boring flight (so I was bored).
  • I read a really interesting book about history (so I was interested).
  • Many people find spiders frightening (so they're frightened when they see spiders).
Be careful! 'I'm boring' is very different from 'I'm bored'! 'I'm boring' means I cause other people to be bored. This is not good! Here are some examples of when one person causes a feeling in another person:
  • I was talking to such a boring guy at the party. He talked about himself for an hour!
  • She's a really interesting woman. She's lived all over the world and speaks five languages.
  • My maths teacher at school was really frightening! He was always shouting at the students.
These participle adjectives make their comparative by using 'more' (not -er) and their superlative by using 'most' (not -est):
  • I was more frightened of dogs than spiders when I was a child.
  • That book is more boring than this one.
  • I think Dr Smith's lesson was more interesting than Dr Brown's.
  • For 24 hours on the flight to Australia, I was the most bored I've ever been.
  • I think this is the most interesting talk we've heard today.
  • It was the most frightening film that he'd ever seen.


No comments:

Post a Comment