Friday, May 12, 2017

Grammar focus

So, Too, Neither and Either




'So do I' and 'neither do I'
I use 'so do I' to say that a positive sentence is also true for me, and I use 'neither do I' to say that a negative sentence is also true for me:
  • John: I hate mushrooms.
  • Me: So do I (=I also hate mushrooms).
  • Lucy: I don't live in London.
  • Me: Neither do I (=I also don't live in London. For example, maybe Lucy and I both live in Paris).

This is often used as a reply to someone else in a conversation, but both sentences can also be said by the same person, and even joined together:
  • Me: Elizabeth loves coffee. So do I.
  • Me: Harry doesn't play the piano and neither do I.

What about 'too' and 'either'?

We can also use 'I do too' and 'I don't either', which mean the same as 'so do I' and 'neither do I':
  • John: I hate mushrooms.
  • Me: I do too (=I also hate mushrooms).
  • Lucy: I don't live in London.
  • Me: I don't either (=I also don't live in London).
The verb changes in the same way as with 'so do I' and 'neither do I' (remember you need a negative verb with 'either'):
  • Present simple: John's at the office. I am too.
  • Present continuous: Luke isn't going out tonight. I'm not either.
  • Present perfect: They've been to Colombia. I have too.
  • Modal verbs: Emma can't speak Russian. I can't either.

Click here to see a video about so , too, neither,either



No comments:

Post a Comment